The former crematorium of Wedding is listed in Berlin as a historically protected building. Built between 1909 and 1910, it was the first crematorium in Berlin, and the third in the former Prussia. Its presence testifies to changing cultural norms around death in the modernised Germany of the early 20th century, whereby cremation became an alternative to burial as a funereal form. The grounds of the crematorium were used as a municipal cemetery from 1828 until 1879. After that the building closed until the beginning of of the 20th century.
Today this incredible building is a place for thinking, research, and experimentation. The silent green Cultural Quater is home to such groups as Music Board Berlin, which supports the pop music scene in Berlin and helps strengthen its cultural and economic reputation locally and internationally. There is a fabulous concert venue in the main hall.